You may think that spending less time and money on home maintenance equates to savings, but in fact, it can cost you more than you may think in the future. For every $1 spent on maintenance, you could avoid up to $100 in resulting repairs. Many professional home inspectors say that they’ve seen homes with thousands of dollars in damages that could’ve been prevented by spending $5 to $15 for some simple maintenance. The following is a list of simple routine maintenance chores that take less than an hour of your time and could lead to big savings for you:
- Apply weather stripping and caulk to any gaps around window and door frames to prevent drafts and heat loss. Heating/cooling makes up about 47 percent of your energy costs. Proper sealing and insulation can save you up to 20 percent on your energy bill.
- Hire a professional to inspect and clean your AC unit annually. They can check for leaks and clean away any dust, debris and corrosive buildup. This routine maintenance can prolong the life of the unit, saving you from costly replacement. To keep things running in peak condition, change your air filters every three months.
- Inspect your roof for signs of leaks. Curled shingles are a telling sign from the outside. However, the best way to monitor your roof is to examine your attic and top story ceiling with a flashlight. Check around rafters, roof boards, vents and skylights for any signs of moisture. Have any leaks professionally inspected as soon as possible.
- Clean your gutters each season. Irregular drainage can cause rotting and leaks.
- Replace the batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors biannually. Check the expiration date on your fire extinguishers and replace as needed.
- Dust can cause a refrigerator breakdown. Unplug your fridge and clean the coils annually with a vacuum and brush to increase your fridge’s lifespan and efficiency.
- Have your chimney professionally cleaned annually. Removing the buildup and debris helps reduce the risk of fire.
Proactively performing simple home maintenance can lead to vast savings down the road. Like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Take protecting your home and family one step further. Call Adcock-Adcock Property & Casualty at (813) 933-6691 for more information on Tampa home insurance.